Thursday, November 29, 2012

Choice is the power of feminism.

“It’s so funny that Sarah is a feminist because she dresses like such a slut.”

What would be truly ironic is if, as a feminist, I allowed others to dictate what I chose to put on my body. Feminists, simply put, are people who believe in equality between people of all sexual identities. Thus, as people, feminists come in all the variations that people come in. We are the last people to be found guilty of slut shaming. What one wears or does not wear on his or her body is not a direct reflection on his or her sexual history, and secondly, one’s sexual history does not grant them slut status.

Not that I should feel any obligation or pressure to defend myself, but even from a conservative stand point, I do not dress provocatively. A typical Sarah outfit consists of some 1990's wannabe maxiskirt / lil' frock, opaque black tights, vegan leather or denim jacket, and Creepers.

Oftentimes, men thrust the term “slut” upon women who emit some sort of sexual prowess or cause them to feel some sort of sexual desire. I can’t control what your mind turns to when you look at me, nor would I let that have any influence over how I dress. I can however exert my freedom and wear whatever I want.

As I became enlightened about the above comment I was instantly reminded of the second wave's sensible show debate. Uhh, hello? It's 2012. Are people still so ignorant that they think feminists do not wear make-up and high heels? Have we, as a society, still not moved passed the stereotype that all feminists are fugly butches forced into a life of angsty misery because no guys want to be with them? 

"Feminism is not a dirty word. It does not mean you hate men, it does not mean you hate girls that have nice legs and a tan, and it does not mean you are a 'bitch' or 'dyke' ; it means you believe in equality." - Kate Nash

No comments:

Post a Comment