Friday, October 25, 2013

Somewhere between Codie Young and Robyn Lawley.

Sans platforms, I stand a slight sliver over 5'7.

I have never been called "overweight," "heavy" or "fat." However, with the exception of women who identify as plus-size and mistake women as belonging to one of two ideals, the last time anyone referred to me as "thin," "slim," or "skinny" I was prepubescent.

I am a medium-sized woman.

Unless I sit in the slumped pore posture that so rightfully characterizes my generation, my pudge remains largely unnoticeable. The way opaque tights showcase their strength and muscularity, the height they bring to my frame, even the simple mobility they allow me, my legs remain my favorite part of my body. My hips are more than suitable for childbearing and my ass is thick. Numerous lingerie store clerks claim I ought to be wearing a 32DD, which makes me feel slightly sexy, slightly cartoonish, slightly fearful of what I'm going to look like while nursing.

My closet is home to small, medium, and large size tags. Every couple weeks, I consort my body into a size 2 hand-me-down skirt because it is grunge gold, but even knowing these facts about my wardrobe, if a perfect dress presented itself to me that was either smaller or larger than my normal size 6, having convinced myself that I'd either suffocate or drown in it, I would hesitate to even try it on. I find skinny jeans unflattering and unappealing in all their stretchiness.

There are pockets of my body that move and sway during sex, and sometimes, my ass makes a clapping noise against my lover's thighs. If I put my legs straight into the air, my stomach pudge becomes slightly more noticeable. Although I doubt they knew it at the time, I am fairly certain I've slept with a man that weighs less than I.

Curvy used to mean well endowed, a full bottom, a narrow waistline (think Marilyn Monroe), but recently, fat activists have claimed the word as their own. This is problematic, because a woman may have a curvaceous body type, but not be a plus-sized woman. A woman may be a plus-sized woman, but still comfortably wear training bras and have a straight up and down silhouette. See, this redefinition of "curvy" has left many women marginalized and ignored, as this new meaning simply does not accurately fit many of the women's bodies it has grown to supposedly describe.

I am Kat Dennings before Hollywood ate a good twenty pounds of her.

I am a medium-sized woman. A sexy, medium-sized woman. I have not experienced the discrimination and hate that overweight women in my society often experience on the daily, but I do feel the repercussions of not being a size 2, or looking like the women in (most) advertisements.

So, fellow medium-sized women, you all are hot as hell, but we need to unite and start an acceptance movement for women of our type. We need a category, a label if you will, that accurately describes both how we look and how we feel about our bodies. We deserve to be marketed to, thus our faces and our bodies need to be represented in the media and models between size 2 (runway) and size 12 (plus-size) must exist.

Please and thank you,

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. You're such a inspiration, darling. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete