Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Pride & other less important reasons I have the privilege of calling myself a feminist.

Feminism does not resonate with me the same way it does with one of my colored fellow feminist sisters living on government assistance or a single mother of four, nor does feminism affect my daily life the same way it affects a homosexual feminist man’s daily life. My ancestors, the feminists of the second wave, cannot define my feminism for they do not fully comprehend the demands of my time. The definition of what it means to be a feminist varies by social-economic class, race, sexual orientation, and generation, however we, as feminists, are bond together by a common goal to end exploitation, prejudice, and oppression that occurs as a result of one’s sexual and/or gender identity and/or orientation; my desire to redefine the word “feminist” itself, my belief of gender as an essential aspect of one’s human identity, and the extent to which feminism plays a role in my daily life allow me to rightfully credit myself as a feminist.
Ani DiFranco once said, “You are either a feminist or a sexist/misogynist. There is no box marked ‘other.’” It is both ignorant and misogynistic to not identify as a feminist.  We must not allow bigots, like Rush Limbaugh, with their sexist definitions of feminism as a movement “established to allow unattractive women easier access to the mainstream” or the poisoned and “patriarchal mass media” the privilege of influencing what modern society considers feminism to stand for and consist of (hooks 1).
By declaring oneself a feminist, and then leading a positive, successful, and progressive life, one accomplishes two things. First, identification as a feminist implies that feminism is something one should desire to belong to and be proud to declare, instead of something to be ashamed of or something to be avoided. Secondly, by leading a positive, successful, and progressive life, one continues to dismantle the stereotype that feminists are somehow nothing more than hostile combat-boot-wearing misandrists, but instead highlight the reality that feminists are people of all religious beliefs, racial backgrounds, sexual identities, and genders, linked together by their goal to “end sexism, sexist exploitation, and oppression” (hooks 1). It is we real self-proclaimed feminists who get to decide what feminism means to us and the societies in which we live, we, who share the responsibility of taking back the word and educating the public about how feminists think and live.
Furthermore, when we identify with a particular political party or as partaking in a particular dietary lifestyle, we make a conscious decision that this is part of who we are as people. Just as political parties and dietary lifestyles are conscious choices we make, so too is identifying with or without a particular gender. Thus, as gender is a choice, it should exist as a conscious and empowering aspect of our identity. This focus on the importance of gender and how humanity uses it both to understand themselves and as a means of socialization is common debate within the feminist movement.
            Lastly, my LGBTQ+ and end rape culture activism, together with my devotion to writing a blog focusing on feminist news and women’s rights issues, further emphasize my identity as a feminist. As a senior in high school, I founded my high school’s first Gay Straight Alliance, and spent much time focused on LGBTQ+ activism.  Additionally, I have participated in Cleveland’s annual SlutWalk protests, a demonstration with the goal of ending rape culture.  That is not to say that showing up to a weekly club meeting, or simply walking in a march makes one a feminist. Neither does staying current with global news and popular culture and writing opinion pieces in response. I only use these examples to show how feminism exists in my daily life and how feminism significantly affects how I chose to spend my time. These three examples highlight how feminist objectives are a profound passion of mine, as essential as water to my very functioning and well-being.
Overall, my belief for the advancement of women, men, transgenders, intersexuals, and all those who do not identify, to no longer be oppressed and restricted due to what lies between their legs, or more simply put, their sex, allows me to label myself a feminist. The contents of the essays I chose to read, and the blog posts I write, along with my LGBTQ+ and end rape culture activism, constitute my feminism, but must importantly, my pride in my identity, as a Caucasian, middle class, bisexual woman, make me a proud feminist.
Works Cited
Cochrane, Kira. "'I'm considering a Revolution'" The Guardian. The Guardian, 9 Oct.
2007. Web. 02 Sept. 2013.
Hooks, Bell. "Feminist Politics: Where We Stand." Feminism Is for Everybody:
Passionate Politics. Cambridge: South End, 2000. 1-6. Print.
Limbaugh, Rush. "Study Confirms Undeniable Truth of Life #24." Rush Limbaugh.
Premiere Radio Networks, 16 Apr. 2012. Web. 02 Sept. 2013.


1 comment:

  1. i love all these entries that you post i find it very interesting the thoughts you have to share with others...i hope you are having a great college experince at Wooster&best of luck to you in everything you do..im sure you will make big changes for the better and be successful in whatever it is you chose to do

    ReplyDelete